Tuesday, June 2, 2009

TWD - Cinnamon Squares


I had been thinking of starting a food blog for awhile now, but Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD) was the catalyst. This post will be my first time baking with the group, and WOW was it ever worth it. Tracey from Tracey's Culinary Adventures choose this week's recipe, Cinnamon Squares. You can find the recipe on her blog. I had my eye on these squares for weeks, and never got around to making them; I can see that TWD will quickly become my most favourite reason for baking decadence.


These squares consist of a simple, cinnamon infu
sed batter with a layer of chocolate, coffee, cinnamon, and sugar in the middle. I'd consider these more of a cake than a square. And what a cake! I loved, loved, loved this recipe. The cake was soft, moist, and the flavours melded perfectly; no one taste overwhelmed another. They were a big hit at work, too. I also gave one to a lady who was having some low blood sugar issues, so I like to think I saved someone's life with with these treats. See? There's always a reason for baking. I'll list what I learned below.



1) These were super easy to make. Whisk all the dry ingredients, pour on the wet, add melted butter, and you're done. It literally took longer to measure the ingredients than it did to put them together.

2) Some people had a problem with the chocolate sinking to the bottom. Although this didn't happen to me, I did find my chocolate layer wasn't in the middle as I had hoped; it was closer to the bottom. That probably has more to do with my poor measuring skills than anything.

3) This is the first time I've ever combined instant coffee with chocolate, and will I ever be doing that again! I hate coffee, but I couldn't taste it at all, and it really deepened the chocolate flavour. I was a doubter, but now I'm a believer.

4) The frosting was easy and good, but honestly the cake was so delicious I'd rather taste it by itself. Next time (and there will DEFINTELY be a next time) I'll skip the icing entirely.

Next week on TWD: Parisian Apple Tarts.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome to TWD! I love the "what I learned" list, because I've learned so much as part of this group. Baking something different every week and having people to compare results to has taken my baking to a new level. I hope it does the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been following the group for awhile, and have learned just from that, so I'm sure my skills will improve (I hope). I try and coincide what I make with when I work; that way my waist doesn't reach a new level, hopefully. ;)I'm learning about photography from your site, too, so thanks for that as well. :)

    ReplyDelete