Friday, June 5, 2009

Mom's Chocolate Fudge Cookies


Here's the thing: I'm a chocolate addict. I adore chocolate in all its forms (not white chocolate, though - but technically, it's not even chocolate. In fact, it's just wrong, sick and wrong.). I have no willpower when it comes to chocolate, and these sinful little cookies are no exception. This recipe has been in my family for over 75 years, and when you can say that you know you've got a good thing going on. They are soft and cakey, but they hold up great for transport, mailing to friends, or in the cookie jar. The best thing? They are actually BETTER the next day. I can't tell you how good they are 2 or 3 days after they've been baked; I've never had them last that long.

This time around, I decided to try them with some cinnamon, which I greatly enjoyed. Next time, I might add some freshly grated ginger and see how that works. If you want a deep, fudgey cookie, though, just make them as is - you won't be disappointed.

A couple of notes: These cookies are fine if you underbake them slightly, but don't overbake them; they get too dry and you won't have that soft, fudgey texture that really defines the cookie. Also, I know that shortening is the devil now, but whatever - these cookies are great. I've never made them with butter, but if you want to sub it in, make sure you watch your baking times carefully; I find butter causes cookies to brown quicker. Finally, I would recommend lining your cookie sheet with parchment, even if it's non-stick; burnt bottoms on these cookies would be a travesty.




Mom's Chocolate Fudge Cookies

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
6 heaping tbsps cocoa, sifted
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

1. Beat brown sugar and shortening together until well combined. Add egg, milk, and vanilla, and mix until fully incorporated.

2. Mix remaining ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the remaining ingredients. Mix until just combined.

3. Drop dough by the spoonful onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.


I defy you to eat just one of these.

No comments:

Post a Comment